 Technic / 6064
Re: New gear table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 04:07:47 GMT

    I agree about the 8 tooth pinions.  I usually use two of them where ever
I can to keep from breaking them.  They're especially weak because they're
undercut.  We don't have to destructively test LEGO&reg parts to create such
a table though.  There are some simple gear tooth load calculations that
should do the trick.  IIRC, all we need is the Bulk Modulus of Elasticity
for ABS and the tooth profiles.  Since LEGO&reg gears are a standard metric
module (aka pitch) it shouldn't be hard to figure out the dimensions.

                                                -Xanthra47

PS. Anyone remember what pitch they are ?  I measured them along time ago,
but I've forgotten : (

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
It's pretty simple; select two gears and a tolerance and you get a table
with all possible stud/plate combinations that'll do the trick.

That is very well implemented indeed! Something I think would be • interesting
would be a measure of the strength of a particular combination before the
gears either crunch or break - for example I am sure that the strongest
combination of gears is two sixteen teeth ones in a perfect mesh, and I
suspect that even two sixteen gears in an imperfect mesh would be stronger
than a setup involving one or more 8 tooth gears in a perfect mesh.

Of course, this would mean testing gears to destruction with a torque
measuring device which may not be kosher for everyone :-)

Jennifer