 Technic / 6047
Re: New gear table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:08:37 GMT

It's pretty simple; select two gears and a tolerance and you get a table
with all possible stud/plate combinations that'll do the trick.

That is very well implemented indeed! Something I think would be interesting
would be a measure of the strength of a particular combination before the
gears either crunch or break - for example I am sure that the strongest
combination of gears is two sixteen teeth ones in a perfect mesh, and I
suspect that even two sixteen gears in an imperfect mesh would be stronger
than a setup involving one or more 8 tooth gears in a perfect mesh.

Of course, this would mean testing gears to destruction with a torque
measuring device which may not be kosher for everyone :-)

Jennifer