 Technic / 6065
Re: New gear table
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 06:17:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane writes:
In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
It's pretty simple; select two gears and a tolerance and you get a table
with all possible stud/plate combinations that'll do the trick.

That is very well implemented indeed! Something I think would be interesting
would be a measure of the strength of a particular combination before the
gears either crunch or break - for example I am sure that the strongest
combination of gears is two sixteen teeth ones in a perfect mesh, and I
suspect that even two sixteen gears in an imperfect mesh would be stronger
than a setup involving one or more 8 tooth gears in a perfect mesh.

Of course, this would mean testing gears to destruction with a torque
measuring device which may not be kosher for everyone :-)

Jennifer

I think creating dissagreement is the quickest and most surefire way of
generating a reply, consider this proof :-).

I would think a pair 40 tooths gears would be the strongest set up. I've
never broken either combination so I have no proof.

I do find however that you can't get a perfect mesh with sixteen tooth
gears, they tend to bind. They must be slightly too large. I'm sure a less
than a millimetre correction would cure the problem.

I also think the second weakest gear is the 24 tooth crown gear (the one you
use for meshing at 90 degrees). Are the newer bevel gears any good,
strenghtwise?

There are two versions of the 24 tooth crown wheel too - on the older
version the part of the tooth which stood above the main body of the gear
was much smaller, and I have several with broken teeth 8?(

The newer ones are much stronger, but still prone to breakage, and I'd
probably agree that they're still second in breakages behind the 8 tooth.

As for the bevel gears, the new 12 tooth gears are much stronger than the
old 14 tooth ones, but they have much more "play". The other nice thing is
they still mesh OK with the crown wheel on the old differentials 8?)

Regards

ROSCO