 Technic / 5496
5495  |  5497
Subject:
It isn't the same! (was:Re: scanning for new parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 06:44:38 GMT

  I could be mistaken but I'm pretty darn sure it's not the same part!  The
new (currently yellow) piece has a larger hole through which some kind of
u-joint moves.  It also has an extra bit of plastic between main body and
the extended ball joint, which doesn't appear to be attached to anything.  I
can also see what I'm sure is a differential:)
-Nathan

In lugnet.technic, Adrian Egli writes:
You're right, it does look like the 32186 of the 8448!  When I look closely
at the main photo, I can see some bevel gears, but it's not clear enough if
they are within a diff housing above a 16 tooth gear and did something like
what was done to the rear wheel drive of the 8448?

Maybe it's just printing, but the one in the catalog doesn't appear to have
the horizontal rib on either side like the 32186 and this one appears to be
able to accommodate some kind of ball than just a pin or cross axle.  A new
version?

Adrian

"Thomas (T. J.) Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, John Barnes writes:
I received the new S@H catalog the other day, and, as usual,
browsed the photos of all the new stuff looking for evidence of new
parts - especially ones with a Technic bias/use.

I was looking at the front suspension of the new 4x4 set, 8466. It's
supposed to be full 4-wheel drive so the front wheels must be driven and
steerable.

In the catalog, I can see a yellow piece that looks like:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/suspen/susp_3.html
part number: 32186

Is it this part? If so, it's not true 4-wheel drive and the front wheels • are
just steerable.

I'm hoping that it's a new part and just a variation of the above • mentioned
piece (32186). Hopefully it's been modified to house a u-joint so that the
wheels may be driven.

Anyone have thoughts on this, or know what the part really is?

T. J.