 Technic / 466
Re: Motor-powered 8880??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:00:40 GMT

A bit simplified, you can say that at 1st gear, the 8880 transfers the
power from the wheels to the motor virtually 1:1.  At a higher gear, the
power from the wheels is geared _down_.  Now, if you power the motor in
stead, the motor sees this as geared _up_, which is, needless to say, to
hard for the motor to drive.  So to power the 8880, you will probably
need to redesign the whole gear box.

The simplest way to do this is to add a reduction before (or after) the
gearbox.

I agree it's not a beautifully methode, but is works .

An other option is to switch the input- and outputaxle's, so the
mid-differential is linked to the output-axle of the gearbox and the motor is
linked to the input-axle of the gearbox.

In this scenario you have the problem that the input- and outputaxle's cross
each other.

About the friction in the wheels: I removed the pieces in the wheelsuspension
and add some pieces outside this to put down the chassis. (I mean: the angle
between wheelsuspension and chassis is made smaller; my English isn't so good)

The result is a much less friction in the ball-coupling. The friction which you
have now is mostly from the wheelgearing. The Geartrain is run pretty well.

Eelco Kooiker
eelco@kooiker.demon.nl