 Technic / 465
Re: Motor-powered 8880??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:25:20 GMT

Johannes Keukelaar <johannes@nada.kth.se> writes:

I would think that this is very hard. There is a lot of friction in
the drivechain for the 8880.

Right on.  Not only that, but the transmission on 8880 is designed to
have the motor pushed by the wheels.  If you want it the other way
around, you'll need to "reverse" the transmission/gear box as well.

A bit simplified, you can say that at 1st gear, the 8880 transfers the
power from the wheels to the motor virtually 1:1.  At a higher gear, the
power from the wheels is geared _down_.  Now, if you power the motor in
stead, the motor sees this as geared _up_, which is, needless to say, to
hard for the motor to drive.  So to power the 8880, you will probably
need to redesign the whole gear box.

I've made a four speed/four wheel drive vehicle once, but the drive
train had so much friction that it was useless.  Even when I did take
care to design the gear box the other way around, with respect to the
8880.

Fredrik