 Technic / 464
Re: Motor-powered 8880??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:18:49 GMT

"Pat" == Pat  <patrickemerson@mindspring.com> writes:

Pat> I know I asked this question a bit earlier this month, but it was
Pat> in a message specifically on modified 8880's and I thought a more
Pat> descriptive title might get more response.  Has anyone ever added
Pat> 9-v motors to an 8880 and gotten it to move?  I have 2 of the new
Pat> gear-motors (bought specificaly (sic?) for this purpose in mind.
Pat> I would appreciate any and all info.

I would think that this is very hard. There is a lot of friction in
the drivechain for the 8880. Some of this may be reduced by careful
alignment of gears (especially the ones on the chain) and such, but a
lot of is appears to be caused by the linkage used for the wheels. I'm
working on a model that uses the wheels and such from the 8880 to get
four wheel drive and steering (no suspension), and that, too, has a
tremendous amount of friction. One of the new-style motors, geared
down a _lot_ can make it, well, crawl.

I haven't seen any info on the net from someone who has actually
managed to do this. Of course, just because it hasn't been done
doesn't mean it can't be done.

Pat> If it makes any differance, my 8880 has a 12-cylinder engine
Pat> (removed the "top" steering to make room for it) and I had to
Pat> modify the chain linkage to the transmission, but there is very
Pat> little slack in the chain (enough for free movement, no
Pat> slippage).  I soon will be replacing the grey/grey engine with a
Pat> trans/red engine (thanks Legocorky!) and would love to see this
Pat> beauty move under it's own power!

Hmm, that must look good. :)

Pat> Thanks in advance,
Pat> Pat