 Technic / 45
44  |  46
Subject:
8482 Technic Cybermaster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:40:53 GMT

At a local Zany Brainy, they have a display of a number of set 8482,
"Technic Cybermaster".  A sign says "a Zany Brainy exclusive", and
they're going for $230.

This set has me a bit puzzled, but I'm not sure I want to spend $230
to answer my questions...

The set comes in a briefcase.  There's a picture in Pause, but not
much more info:
  http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8482

The cover on the briefcase indicates that there's a programmable
brick in the set, which appears to be programmable via radio, or
perhaps it's an IR connection.  It can run two built-in motors,
and has 3 touch sensors.  And then there's a bunch of other technic
pieces, including some scary technic equivalents of BURPs.  (Hm,
BUTTs.  Big Ugly Technic T???.  Anyway.)

So this all sounds Mindstorm-y, but this set doesn't have the
same feel as the Mindstorm sets and it doesn't say Mindstorms on it.

It also comes with a CD-ROM.  The outside of the box spends more time
talking about the software and exploring worlds (LEGO TECHNIC City)
(eww) and playing games than describing the brick, which makes me
vaguely leery.  In my opinion, Lego has never really gotten the
"software meets the brick" thing quite right.

Hmm.  As I wrote this, I thought to check the brickshelf, and found:
  http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1999/c99nl-2/c99nl-34.jpg

(By the way, Kevin - you rock.)

So maybe it's a European release only that Zany is importing?

Does anyone know anything more about this set?  What's the deal
with this particular brick?  Is it programmed in any way similar
to the RCX?  Is the set worth $230?

  -r'm