 Technic / 47
Re: 8482 Technic Cybermaster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:13:45 GMT

In article <8E4AEB785evardmcsanlgov@lugnet.com>, Remy Evard
<evard@mcs.anl.gov> writes
At a local Zany Brainy, they have a display of a number of set 8482,
"Technic Cybermaster".  A sign says "a Zany Brainy exclusive", and
they're going for $230.

This set has me a bit puzzled, but I'm not sure I want to spend $230
to answer my questions...

Don't.

So this all sounds Mindstorm-y, but this set doesn't have the
same feel as the Mindstorm sets and it doesn't say Mindstorms on it.

It is programmable, but it's really designed to be controlled via the
radio link from a PC. I found it a bit disappointing. It's aimed at 12
year olds (that is, *real* 12yos), and they appear to have got it just
right.

It's mostly all about controlling the mobile unit (which has 2 motors
built in, 1 motor port & 3 sensor ports) with a joystick.

The only thing I found neat was that each sensor has a different
resistance, so it knows which sensor is attached to which port.

There's got to be another use for those, but I haven't investigated
Mindstorms yet.

--
Tony Priestman