 Technic / 4342
Re: RC Tank (was:Re: Fire cannon and projectiles with motor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:02:52 GMT

Hi,
How did you mount the servos for working the switcher in that tank??
I'm curently working on a RC lego technic project and need any ideas I can
get.

Sorry for not beeing OnLine as much as I used too, but look at the
following pages:

I also took some better pics of the mounting in the tank when I took
it apart -I think, it's been a while- but they're still in my
videocam.

To describe it in words:

Build a "box" that has inner measures of 3x5 studs. Use beams for the
long side and these 1x5 plates with holes in each end and a cross axle
hole in the middle for best streangth. Be sure to make room for the
cord to the servo.

The plate:
h s x s h
where: h = hole, s = stud and x = cross axle hole

Narrow down the side that is 3 studs by inserting those small gray
pins to the inner sides of the 5 studs long side. Now you should be
able to push down the servo into this spot. At least it works fine
with my old sanwa servos.

Adjust as you see needed. If your servo is narrower, use dark gray
short pegs on both or just one side. If it's thicker, use light gray
short pegs on one side only etc.

I then use rubberbands to hold em in place.

That's how the servo it self is mounted. Now to the brilliant part
(LEGO purists beware):

Take a medium pulley wheel, the one with six holes in it, and glue it
flat to the servos "linkage pad wheel", centered of course. This makes
it possible to:

1) Put a cross axle in the middle of the pulley to connect to another
cross axle hole, like the polarity switch.
2) Put a rubber band around the pulley to connect to another pulley
wheel.
3) insert different pegs into the pulleys holes.

It should be possible to glue a gear in place too, but it will be hard
to make that gear mesh good with another gear.

To make the pulley wheel stick firmly to the servos linkage wheel,
sand both the servo linkage wheel and the medium pulley wheel down a
tad (so the glue get's a rugged surface to stick to) and use crazy
glue (not sure it's the right term, the kind that dries in a couple of
seconds and sticks well to plastic - and fingers so beware).

I skipped the tiny screw that holds the servos linkage wheel in place,
I found the friction is enough to hold it in place, mostly. This way I
can attach the linkage wheel as I see fit and then fine adjust it all
via the remote control itself. This depends on your RC-equipment, of
course.

The polarity switches are lined up using more rubber bands and some
technis beams, as can be seen here:

The yellow beams are only attached to the polarity switches using
short gray pegs (for better friction, stick them in the beam and let
the short end face the back/bottom of the polarity switch) and rubber
bands.

The battery pack, power switch and reciever for the RC stuff is also
hold in place with rubber bands. The antenna is put through on of
these design tubes, the thin long ones that come with some newer
Techinc sets.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. I'll try to be OnLine
more often, promise!

/Tobbe, Sweden