 Technic / 4262
Re: Steering of driven wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:49:36 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Henry Chea writes:
I know this may make some people squeemish, but you can always drill out
a larger hole in the middle of the wheel's hub, so that the cv joint can
slide all the way through the hub.  Then connect a "technic wedge belt
wheel" to the outside of the hub, which in turn holds the cv joint in
place.  Basically, the surgery changes the wheel's offset.

Interesting.  My problem is I am (and I know this is pretty daft) trying to
make the entire chassis from the parts in the 8479 Code-pilot truck as I
haven't split my sets yet.  So these are the wheels I am working with and I
would need to get some more if I were to decide to subject them to this
(which doesn't make me squeamish, still available elements are just plastic,
good plastic, but just plastic).

I thought that maybe the 8880 wheels would have a deep enough dish to
provide this reduction in offset but I've just checked and a combination of
my misremembering the depth and the need to have a pivot contrives to allow
a reduction of only 1.  A new wheel for the 81.6x34 tyres with a dished back
would solve this.

At every turn I seem to be being forced up to 8880 scale, oh well.

Thanks

Psi