 Technic / 4245
  Steering of driven wheels

Dear all, I hope someone can help me. I am attempting a MOC of a Series II Land-Rover with as much functionality as I can achieve and last night I realised that the only set with steerable driven wheels is the 8880. I have one and I could use the (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

(...) IMHO life is too short to be worrying about such stuff - if it makes your model cooler then I say go for it. While I've yet to build anything as complex as a leaf spring, I have certainly done some less major modifications from time to time. (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

(...) Ooo. This is difficult. I have tried to make a Land Rover to the scale of the 5571 wheels two times, but failed both times. The first time I wanted to build one with four wheel drive and no working suspension. I used bevel gears rather than (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

Well my man here's the deal, making a 4x4 sterring nuckle from scratch with out using the prepared solution from the auto chasis has always been tricky, the u-joint set up is the way to go, and trust me if you think that the scale problem is holding (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

You can get by with U-joints if you limit the travel of your suspension abit or are very careful about your pivot points. I'm not familiar with the suspension in the Land Rover, but I'd guess that it's got unequal length A-arms and that ussually (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

Hello, I recently tried different steering/driving concept for a moc I'm working on. A solid axle with steering/driving/suspension is easier (imho) to do than independant wheel suspension, since it requires less CV joints and the steering can use (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

Thanks Olivier, those pictures were a huge help. (...) That's what I thought, but then I ran into trouble. However I am a lot further on now thanks to you and the others who replied. I have just completed a solution that is 17 between the wheel hubs (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

(...) www.brickshelf.com is your friend!! ROSCO (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

I know this may make some people squeemish, but you can always drill out a larger hole in the middle of the wheel's hub, so that the cv joint can slide all the way through the hub. Then connect a "technic wedge belt wheel" to the outside of the hub, (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

(...) Thank you ROSCO, just the camera to find now! Psi (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

(...) Lost me here, sorry. Perhaps I had better do some reading up on automotive engineering first! My MOC is actually a rendition of a friend's 1962 Landy, so pretty low-auto-tech. It has leaf spring suspension on both axles and they are both (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

(...) Interesting. My problem is I am (and I know this is pretty daft) trying to make the entire chassis from the parts in the 8479 Code-pilot truck as I haven't split my sets yet. So these are the wheels I am working with and I would need to get (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Steering of driven wheels

(...) I tried doing this a year or so ago using several (2/wheel) universal joints; it worked pretty well but had some pretty bad limitations. The main problems with it were that it was way too bulky (24 studs wide) and also that the suspension and (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)