 Technic / 4223
Re: Guide to Control Lab
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dacta, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:31:06 GMT

Hello,

No, the Control Lab is "just" 8 input/output connectors connected direct to
a computer via RS232.

Lars Gertsen - Denmark

Zhengrong Zang wrote:

I am still not sure waht different between RCX and ControlLab, can I wrtie
program and download for it?

Zhengrong

Grant Elliott wrote:

1.  The yellow inputs are for digital sensors (temperature and touch).  The
blue are for analog (rotation and light).
2.  It's an emergency stop.  With the original software, it just stops
execution.  Don't know if it's implemented with the ActiveX thing you're
using.
3.  The ON connector is simply constant power.  If you happen to have
something that always runs (like a compressor), plug it in there.
Otherwise, it's usefull just to see which way the motor's rotate.
4.  The 8 outputs are all identical.
5.  Of course you can.  It's an analog (blue) sensor.

I love the Control Lab.  I bought one about 4 years ago.  The only downside
is that it has to be wired (which is fixable if you feel like setting up a
radio link).  Otherwise, it's much better than Mindstorms, which came out
later.  Actually, even the Control Lab is the sequal to an older design made
for the 4.5 volt motors.  I don't know anything about the ActiveX controls
you're using, but the official software is actually kind of nice (much
better than that Mindstorms graphical stuff).  If you want to get a copy,
it's about $30.  You can order it direct from Pitsco-Dacta.  Hope this was
helpful.

                                    Grant Elliott