 Technic / 4220
Re: When did Technics switch over to the 'new' models?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:27:32 GMT

Actually, the earliest signs of this were in 1994.  That's when the
the flex-tubes began to see use as cosmetic elements (rather than
just housings for the flex-cables, as they were conceived).  Ironically,
this is the same year that 8880 Supercar was released.

"Gaurav Thakur" <cp5670@supermail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Jeff Small writes:
Okay, when you look at the 8880 supercar, you see the body and overall
design of the car is made almost entirely of lego beams. Same with the
Airtech Claw Rig. These designs are made from almost exclusively from • beams.
Now, when you look at the most recent examples of advanced lego technic,
like for instance, the 8446, 8444, and 8448, the outer body design is • made
up of axles, rubber axles, and cosmetic plates.

When did this trend start? Is there a set that kicked off the trend? Why • did
they start making those particular cosmetic pieces?

It sort of started in 1998 with the 8417 Mag Wheel Master and the 8428 • Turbo
Command. These two sets mostly did away with using beams for the outer
framework and had extensive usage of the flex cable sleeve tubing (this • had
been used before is many sets but not to this extent) as well as a new • kind
of corrugated thicker tubing that somewhat resembled hoses. The 8462 Super
Tow Truck later that year used a little bit of the tubing but mostly
utilized the beams for the framework. I think that this was really the • last
set to use lots of beams. The 1999 line introduced the flexible rubber • axles
and pretty much did away with beams for the superstructure.

One notable set that came earlier which used lots of flex tubing for the
outer design was the 8437 Future Car from 1997. However the 8479 Barcode
Multi-Set (which came later in the year) used lots of beams.

I'm only a couple years into my AFOL stage and I'm starting to get an • even
greater appreciation for the older sets...I think my next lego purchase • may
just have to be an airtech claw rig, or that super car just for that very
reason now...

Yeah I would very highly recommend both of those sets; 8880 Super Car and
8868 Airtech Claw Rig are among my favorites (8868 is actually my all-time
favorite). The functions for both are even more impressive than the look;
the only problem is the auction prices. Sealed/MISB sets can sometimes go • up
to more than twice the original price. There is an unopened ATC Rig on • eBay
right now that's going for $350 USD, and still has over 3 days to end.
Opened ones usually sell for around $100-$150 (I got a used copy for • $150).
As for the Super Car, average MISB end prices seem to be around $200-$250
(mine was $225, although you can probably get it for less if you're lucky)
with opened ones selling for $100-$150.

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com