 Technic / 4202
4201  |  4203
Subject:
When did Technics switch over to the 'new' models?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 04:04:08 GMT

Okay, when you look at the 8880 supercar, you see the body and overall
design of the car is made almost entirely of lego beams. Same with the
Airtech Claw Rig. These designs are made from almost exclusively from beams.
Now, when you look at the most recent examples of advanced lego technic,
like for instance, the 8446, 8444, and 8448, the outer body design is made
up of axles, rubber axles, and cosmetic plates.

When did this trend start? Is there a set that kicked off the trend? Why did
they start making those particular cosmetic pieces?

I'm only a couple years into my AFOL stage and I'm starting to get an even
greater appreciation for the older sets...I think my next lego purchase may
just have to be an airtech claw rig, or that super car just for that very
reason now...