 Technic / 4207
Re: When did Technics switch over to the 'new' models?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 05:11:31 GMT

There's a mag wheel master on ebay right now for $37.00 (I think)

Gary

Krusty <surfside_guy@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message

"Gaurav Thakur" <cp5670@supermail.com> wrote:
It sort of started in 1998 with the 8417 Mag Wheel Master and the 8428 • Turbo
Command. These two sets mostly did away with using beams for the outer
framework and had extensive usage of the flex cable sleeve tubing (this • had
been used before is many sets but not to this extent) as well as a new • kind
of corrugated thicker tubing that somewhat resembled hoses. The 8462 • Super
Tow Truck later that year used a little bit of the tubing but mostly
utilized the beams for the framework. I think that this was really the • last
set to use lots of beams. The 1999 line introduced the flexible rubber • axles
and pretty much did away with beams for the superstructure.

You know, I've been trying to get my hands on a mag wheel master now for
quite some time, and it always seems to go just a hair out of my • range...it
just seems too new to me to be going for such high prices, usually going a
bit above the original MSRP. The Turbo Command went on sale just before
Christmas for some ridiculous price (around $25 iirc) and it was during
finals and I *completely* missed the two weeks it was on sale. I had
purchased one before, but I'd have gladly gotten one for that price. I • only
just this week scored one for $31 on ebay which was skirting the edge of
what I think I'd pay for a second one.

That tow truck is fantastic looking and me and my friend have been telling
each other for a year now that one day we're gonna get it. My only • pneumatic
parts are from the new pneumatic accessory pack that I got from S@H this
past fall, and the pneumatics in that set (including that awesome
'compressor' which I've never seen and am not really sure how it works) • was
a main factor in swaying me over to saving up for the airtech claw rig • over
the 8880 supercar right now because I Just got a 8448 after Christmas...