 Technic / 419
Re: review: LEGO '99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 00:46:36 GMT

On the Technic side, in 1999 we got several nice little sets, among which 8251
is my favorite. To me, both the main model and the alternative model are among
the best mini Technic sculptures that Lego has ever made. Altough I like the
look of the alternative model better, the main model comes with a working
suspension.

(Has 8253 released yet?)

And of course in 1999 we get 8448. In terms of piece count, this is the
largest Technic set ever. Since this set is supposed to carry on the torch of
the supercars, it got a lot of anticipation and pressure from the people on
Internet, before it was actually released. Miraculously, it has not failed
such a high anticipation. Although some people still insisting that they
prefer 8880 over this set, I think we have to agree that 8448 is a masterpiece
by itself.

In the Mindstorm line, 9748 DDK is a dispointment. This set is actually not
bad. I wrote up a fairly good first impression about it on lugnet.robotics,
and I still like this set. It's just that the idea of R2D2 in Mindstorms
automatically puts such a high expectation into people's heads that this set
fails to deliver.

When 9735 RDS came out, it was at first looked down as a Juniorized version of
RIS. Now after Lego publishes its SDK, we know that it is actually quite
interesting. The same SDK also describes VLL, which makes the Micro Scout in
9748 DDK far more useful.

For Technic and Mindstorms, 1999 is quite a good year.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang