 Technic / 4077
Re: Looking for set for parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 04:09:59 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tom Covo writes:
From what I've read, the 8459 is generally regarded as a pretty good set.
Because I have only been into Technic for couple of years, my definition
of a "new" set is whether the half-bushings have teeth or not. But from what
I've read here, it seems people still buy "old" (1990-96) sets from eBay and
such to incorporate into their collections.

Yeah, some of the older sets (8460, 8480, 8862, 8868, 8880, etc) are very
nice in terms of functionality IMHO. It seems that today's models are
actually less functionally advanced than some older ones (at least from
1989-1998), which would explain why the older ones are still selling quite
well on auctions.

For a while, I had been thinking I would rather have a cheaper set than the
8459, and order some accesory packs. But I had no idea the Front-End
Loader had 4 wheel drive! Could you please tell me more about the drive
system?

It basically uses 2 differentials (one for each set of wheels) for the
4-wheel drive. The model doesn't have a standard rack-and-pinion steering
system, but rather a "split chassic" system, where the center of the model
splits and both parts pivot to allow the model to steer (8443 also has this
type of steering system). A universal joint is placed right where the model
splits into the front and rear sections so that it can "swivel" at the same
rate as the vehicle. The joint is used to connect the two differentials
together and to the V6 engine in the rear. (sorry if that was confusing, I'm
no good at this kind of stuff :-) )