 Technic / 4068
Re: Looking for set for parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:45:15 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tom Covo writes:
Hello,

I am looking for a good set for parts, in the price range of $70-$120 CDN.
One set I have been considering is the Pneumatic Front-End Loader (#8459),
but it looks fairly old, and uses the old-style half-bushings (i.e. with
teeth).
I am sort of looking for a set that has a differential and/or a universal
joint, but
also has some cool functions.

Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Actually the 8459 set is actually pretty new (1997) when compared to some
others, but yeah; I would definitely recommend this one. I'm not sure about
average auction prices but I saw an unopened one go for $125 US dollars on
eBay a few days ago; used ones are probably less. I think that the original
price for this was around $80 in the US LS@H catalogs.

Another one you could take a look at is the 8880 Super Car from 1994; it has
3 of the newer dark gray differentials and 6 universal joints, but prices
for it on eBay seem to be at a premium (opened ones go for around $100-$150,
unopened/MISB sets sell for $175-$250).

The 8868 Airtech Claw Rig from 1992 has 2 of the older differentials and 3
universal joints and some of the best pneumatics-based functionality I have
seen in any official model (this is actually my favorite all-time set).
Although as with the Super Car, prices can be quite a problem, with used
sets selling from $100-$150 and MISBs (which are becoming increasingly
harder to find these days) going as high as $300.

It is old, but that doesn't make it bad. I consider it one of the best
sets I have, especially when it comes to function... I wouldn't go
higher than 80 USD on this one (don't know what that'll be in CDN).

Agreed! I also really like this model; it packs quite a bit of functionality
into a medium-sized package with tight integration. It's pretty neat how the
4-wheel drive system is accomplished by using a universal joint where the
model splits to pivot for steering.

-Gaurav