 Technic / 3900
Re: Goodbye splines. (Re: Looking for 16 tooth clutch gear and arms)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 03:44:23 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Amnon Silverstein writes:
I think Pitsco has a pack that includes them too. I have around a dozen I
think I got that way. Better stock up, I think Lego is completely phasing
out all parts with the spline system. The splined long thin plates are gone
(what will future generations use for clock hands?!). The splined bushing is
gone. The three-blade rotor has a stud replacing the spline. The spline
connectors are replaced with the 1,2,3,4,5 connectors. I don't think any
kits in current production have splines anywhere. They also seem to be
getting rid of Technic beams and plates, since fewer and fewer are included
with any kit, with the exception of perhaps the Mindstorms stuff. It looks
like they want to replace beams/plates with the new studless rounded liftarm
types. I have mountains of these, and I can hardly ever think of a way to
use them, and I can't guess why Lego thinks they are an improvement.

Actually I also thought that these splined parts are pretty much going out
of production, but the strange thing was that, when I sent a bunch of older
broken elements for replacement, many of which had the spline system, the
new ones actually had the splines as well. The only replaced piece that
didn't have the splines was the half-bushing. All other pieces included the
old spline system (Lugnet pieces 4262, 4263, 4442, 2719, 4273)

I just
ordered an 8448 from S@H last week, but maybe that was the last one left.
I am beginning to worry that the '90s were the golden age for advanced
technical Lego parts. With every new catalog I worry more about what has
been discontinued than I look forward to seeing new items. I keep expecting
to see a set like:
Set 10001 Harry Potter's (tm) Head
Released 2002, 2 elements, $300
Ages 3 and down, contains no small parts or mental challenges.
Instructions:
Pop Harry Potter's (tm) pre-molded left half onto his right half. Apply the
face sticker over the seam. Use adhesive tape if sticker will not adhere.
Alternative model: pop the right half onto the left half and hold upside
down. You can throw the head into the box as an activity. Combine two sets
and throw both heads into the box. Please recycle when finished.

Hehe...yeah, I know what you mean; I really hope Lego products don't
degenerate into this...

It also came in 8428/32, the Turbo command (1 pc.) and in 8417 (Mag wheel
bike, 2 pcs.). These might be easier to get.

Duq

That's interesting, didn't know that these come with them too. And you're
right, they're probably easier to get hold of (I think someone here found a
site where Turbo Command's were still available and could be ordered).