 Technic / 3774
Re: 8479 Barcode Multiset No Longer Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 01:18:55 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Sean Harrington writes:
Hey Everyone,

It looks like the 8479 Barcode Multiset (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8479) has
finally gone the way of the dodo. S@H now shows it as "No Longer Available".
I'm glad I got mine when I did, as it's a pretty cool set, even though
Mindstorms kinda over shadows it's presence. It's still neat technology, great
for teaching kids to program quickly.

- Sean

Yeah, the Mindstorms computers are probably superior to the Code pilot, but
I really like the the mechanical systems used here. It has some very nice
gear trains and it's pretty neat how they made the claw open/close and the
arm move up/down with one motor/gear train.

IMHO, the best thing one could do with this set would to take a Mindstorms
set to it and combine them both.

Actually I tried something like this using my friend's RCX (I don't have
one) on the 8479 truck model. What I basically did was to attach a
micro-motor to the steering system and a second gear-reduction motor to the
wheels. There is already a slot on the model intended for a motor leading to
the wheels and the micro-motor fits quite nicely near the "bevel gear box",
which can allow it to connect to the steering system. Aside from the fact
that it couldn't switch between the claw/dumper automatically, it seemed to
work pretty well. I had it navigate through a small obstacle course (with a
predefined program), grab a few tires, then return back to the starting
position (where they could be dumped using the manual switch).