 Technic / 3759
Re: 8479 Barcode Multiset No Longer Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:54:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
IMHO, the best thing one could do with this set would to take a Mindstorms
set to it and combine them both.  The big thing one might be missing is the
problem of the sounds that the barcode unit makes, but that's not really
that inviting, although it would be cool for younger kids until they tired
of it.

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

Yep, it's the younger kids (under 10) that I'm focusing on. My daughter has
gotten bored with the MicroScout, doesn't quite understand the Scout, and
doesn't begin to comprehend programming the RCX, so programming the BarCode
Unit is easy for her to grasp (literally and mentally). She is able to quickly
enter and test her programming without the frustration of the Scout buttons or
the RCX software.

One thing I DO love on the BarCode unit is the indentations for the engine
mounts on the sides of the unit, but I wish it also had Technic mount holes as
well. Likewise, I wish the Scout and RCX had engine mounts in addition to their
Technic mounts.

- Sean