 Technic / 3762
Re: Force, strenght, did anyone ever measure?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:01:10 GMT

Cool! That's an impressive machine!
I was actually thinking about using 2x2 8t gears, but I don't have the room
in my model (And I've run out of racks too). Encouraging anyway, I'll do
some testing this weekend (and probably post a picture of the shattered
pinions....)

Duq

"Mark Haye" <mark_haye(@)tivoli(.)com> wrote in message
My model (link below) uses elevators with a double rack and double drive • axles (four z8 pinions).
I have tested it with a payload of 36lbs (more than enough for a complete • scale-size Saturn V).
By my calculations, thats 40N per elevator.  The rubber belt in the drive • slipped a bit, but the rest
of the gear train seemed to work without undue stress.  HTH.

http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/runway/1604/ksc_ct.html

--
Mark Haye, mark_haye(@)tivoli(.)com
IBM TSM Server Development, Tucson, AZ

"Duq" <Duq@nlgateway.net> wrote in message news:G7A5B2.7oq@lugnet.com...
Hi all,

I'm running into trouble with my mobile crane project. The boom is • pretty
heavy. I want to raise it with a rack/pinion, but I wonder how much • force
they can take? I reckon that for the first bit up the horizontal force • will
be around 50N. Does anyone ever measure how much a well braced double
rack/pinion (8t gears) can take?

Duq