 Technic / 3616
    Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Chris Mattson
   Fellow Lego Engineers, Does anybody have a good solution to the ever-so-common problem of backlash in lego gear trains? Help, Chris Mattson (23 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Jerry Kalpin
     Chris, it depends on your point of view. As backlash gets less and less, gear train friction gets more and more. The friction is somewhat between the gears but mostly in the shaft bearings where additional force comes to bear. Unless you need (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Chris Mattson
     Jerry, Precise positioning is my objective. And of course too much friction is a problem. I have'nt fooled around with this too much but, the LEGO gears, as designed, have too much backlash for my project (and as you suggest probably to keep the (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Derek Raycraft
      If you working on a Mindstorms project, then measure your position as close to the output of your gear train as possible. This will eliminate the effect of backlash on your positioning. However if the gear train is expected to hold the final (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

          Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Amnon Silverstein
      (...) If you are building a scanning thing, this works really well. I built a camera that used the Lego light sensor, and I would get zig-zags between scan lines. I changed the software to wind it all the way back and scan from the same direction (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Ross Crawford
     Same problem. The more you try to reduce backlash, the more friction you get. ROSCO "Chris Mattson" <mattson@byu.edu> wrote in message news:G6v27B.GAn@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Jason S. Mantor
      Try to measure the quantity you are interested in as directly as possible. If you have to count rotations do it at the output of the gear train not the input. For a given quality of gear (TLC's gears are certainly not AGMA 10s !) you have to strike (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Kevin Loch
     Aren't the new style "fat" gears much tighter? KL (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Fredrik Glöckner
     (...) Yes, I think so. In fact, I think they have significantly more friction when grinding than the "old" gears. And by the way, when using both the new and old style gears in a gear train, I find that there is almost too much friction. Do anybody (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Lincoln Smith
     Give Bob Fay an email rfay@we.mediaone.net a lot of his models have to deal with gear bcklash accurately . Perhaps get him to reply to your post here (if his response doesn't beat this post). (URL) Mattson" <mattson@byu.edu> wrote in message (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Mario Ferrari
   (...) backlash (...) You may find some answer in a post where I explained how Paolo Masetti won the line following robotics contest during Italian Legofest IV. One of Paolo's robot key feature was the reduced backlash in the steering gear train. (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains —Amnon Silverstein
   One other solution I forgot, that I have used with some success for Mindstorms: Make your device smart, so that it keeps track of its own backlash and compensates for it. I made a device that did this. It would keep track of an estimate of how (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic)