 Technic / 3632
Re: Backlash in Lego Gear Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 06:25:24 GMT

Aren't the new style "fat" gears much tighter?

KL

In lugnet.technic, Jason S. Mantor writes:
   Try to measure the quantity you are interested in as directly as
possible.  If you have to count rotations do it at the output of the gear
train not the input.  For a given quality of gear (TLC's gears are certainly
not AGMA 10s !) you have to strike a balance between resolution and
accuracy.   You can build two parallel gear trains and load them together
either by introducing some "twist" on a pair of long axles or use springs or
rubber bands to load them against each other.  Either way you'll be
introducing more friction into the system so be sure to use two technic
beams where ever you support a shaft and you might want to use mineral oil
or graphite or some other benign lubicant.
   Technic chains won't be very accurate unless you get them to run real
tight.  Unfortunately that usually seems to be so tight that you'll bend
your axles and create a lot of friction.
   I've played around with using multiple sets of belts and pulleys to get
a speed reduction and smooth motion and it'll work OK if you're not driving
anything with it, but once you start putting enough load on it to stretch
the rubberbands you'll get the various stages to start oscilating and
that'll really play hell with accurate positioning.  (if only we had some
good stiff timing-belts and matching pulleys that would fit on technic
shafts...)

"Chris Mattson" <mattson@byu.edu> wrote in message
Fellow Lego Engineers,

Does anybody have a good solution to the ever-so-common problem of • backlash
in lego gear trains?

Help,
Chris Mattson