 Technic / 3421
Re: Question on 8094 Control Center
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2000 02:07:35 GMT

Thanks! This set seems to come with quite a few unusual parts
actually...besides the pen, there is also what appears to be some sort of
weighted black piece (this can be seen on the side of the pen plotter near
the pen holder) and it also comes with some "screw" axles (the only other
set I know of that includes these is 8862, but others might have them as
well) where a small bushing-like piece can be inserted and twisted to
tighten the axle. Quite a fascinating set...

The weighted black piece is actually the same kind used in the Trains sets
which were models of a level crossing, 7866 is one example.  It is a metal
piece, and I believe it's correctly called a counterweight.  It certainly is
useful, IMHO, although I'm not sure exactly how rare it is.

As for the screw axles, they come mostly in older sets.  8862 JCB excavator
is one of them.  I'm not sure of the lengths they came in, but they were
mostly used where a turntable assembly needed securing, of course this was
before the modern Technic two-part turntable piece came out, partsrefs #2856
for the base, and #2855 for the top.

The old turntables that used to be used were also two-part, but were very
unstable, having only the studs to grip to the main model, plus the
screw-axle and nuts on either end of them.  The partsref for those two is of
course #3403 for the base, and #3404 for the top.

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde