 Technic / 3023
Re: Another Technic Creation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:21:58 GMT

15 years ago the Technic 4.5 V motor wasn't that
useful for my models.

Tell me about it! It was a pathetic little device, although you could give it • a
bit of a kick by using 9V instead of 4.5V. The new 9V ones are much, much • better,
you'd be amazed at the difference.

A _mere_ 9V?  I ran one up to 54V, for short periods of time.  However, the
real answer is to use a hefty 12V motor.  I have a 12V can motor (it might even
be a 24V job, in fact) that runs quite happy with _anything_ you can put on it
as a load.  (It is, however, a impure solution).  With that motor, the risk
that was ran was that the z8 gears would snap.  I too can usually manage the
technic shaft sizing thing by eye, with 5L shafts being the confusing one
(because of them being a much more recent introduction, the 3L shafts were just
uncommon, but have been around a fair time now)

There are a couple of photos of earlier (1989 or 90) technic creations on my
web page at:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/2049/LegoJPG/LTcar1.html

I _think_ that at the time, I had the 4.5V geared motor driving, through 3:1
reduction into the gearbox (gave all 3 gears, just).  After I had taken that
car apart, I started work on the Semi-Auto transmission, which I still have
here now.  (It's not in a car, just in a Ziplock bag, and missing 2/3rds of the
stuff required to make it work...but it did used to work, shifting gears from
painfully slow to slow :)

James P