 Technic / 2996
Re: The Giant Wheelbot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:32:56 GMT

This reminds me of something I was considering building about a year ago,
though not out of Lego. (I consider building a lot of things, but nothing ever
gets built)

I had the idea to build a remote controlled robot completely contained in a
sphere. It would go back and forth by the same principal; the electronics and
battery would act as the pendulum. But the battery would also move side to
side. The theory was that while it was moving forwards or backwards, the side
to side movement would cause it to tilt and maybe turn.

I never started the project because I could never find a sphere to build it
into. It would be pretty fun to play with. Every time I think about the robot,
I get this image in my head of it painted up like a soccer ball, running away
from a hoard of confused soccer players =D.

I don't know why I bothered writing this, since it's useless to you as it would
only work in a sphere.

Oh well.