 Technic / 2860
Re: Caterham 7 replica completed: Take a look at my finished creation!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 17:00:29 GMT

Neil Everett wrote:

I nearly admitted defeat on these at one point and settled for a 'move with
you own hands' manual system.  Glad I persevered though, as the motorised
ones are way more cool!  By the way, how did you create the cool videos on
your site?  Web cam?  I'm jealous!

I used a Sony EVI-D31 pan/tilt/zoom camera, commonly found rebadged on
videoconferencing systems, to film the video. I don't have the good fortune to
own one myself as they are rather expensive (about 800 UKP), but we have a
couple in the lab I have access to. The quality of the optics in these cameras
is superb, by far the best I've come across in this price bracket. The audio
was recorded simply by placing a microphone on the table near the scene - the
audio in the clips is real BTW, a lot of people think I added fake sound
effects afterwards :-)

I grabbed the video directly into a Hauppage Brooktree 848 based frame grabber
card, (about 50 UKP) with no intermediate videotape stage as I found this
reduced the quality significantly. From there I edited the sequence in Adobe
Premiere, bumped up the gamma correction a bit, and rendered it as a sequence
of bmp files. I also tweaked the audio using an audio package. On a UNIX box, I
then converted the bmp files to ppm format (used by the MPEG compressor) using
a simple script, and then compressed them to MPEG1 files using the free MPEG
video compressor, compressed the audio using a free audio mpeg compressor, and
finally combined the audio and video into one MPEG stream using the free
"mplex" program.

It sounds incredibly complex and time consuming, but in actual fact it wasn't;
it only took one night film, process, then upload all five movies to the web.
There are easier methods, for example Premiere can render a finished AVI movie,
but at this moment in time I prefer to use MPEG. No doubt Premiere could also
render an MPEG movie with the appropriate plugin or codec installed, but I
didn't have it available. The UNIX software also allows you a lot of control
over the compression parameters.

Jennifer Clark