 Technic / 1981
Re: 8458 Silver Champion is incredible!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:55:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Huw Millington writes:

"Michael Edwards" <medwards@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
No, last years 1999 Super Car Catalog

Yes, I was surprised about that.

Maybe TLC has discovered that releasing catalogs of new products
ahead of their arrival in store generates alot of pre-release
publicity and marketplace buzz.  They obviously don't want that
and will probably begin releasing catalogs after the 6 month
product lifespan has expired.

On that note,

Does anyone have a clue as to why 8448 was discontinued so fast?
It was an excellent model well received in the marketplace.
It sold out everywhere as soon as it hit the shelves.  Stores
could not keep it in stock.  TLC apparently spend more effort
marketing it than most products, with a special internet site
and magazine ads.  They could have easially sold three times as many,
if they made another run or two.

Why kill such a successful product so soon?

The whole scenario brings to mind such rediculous scenarios like this:

(executive meeting)
"Sales are through the roof on 8448.  People actually seem to *like* it."
"We can't have that.  Let's kill it and replace it with an inferior model."
"How about a Silver colored formula race car?"
"You mean a set with actual silver elements?  They'll like that too!"
"Dang, you're right.  We'll have to use faux silver coloring instead."
"That sounds better.  Hey, just to make sure, lets limit the special colors
to Technic body panels, that will lower sales for sure."
"All right, good work guys, we have a plan."

KL