 Technic / 176
Re: Questions regarding a conceptual cargo elevator.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:03:32 GMT

Take a look at my machines on my home page. I am sure you will get an
idea or two from them. Let me know if you have any questions.

--
Bob Fay
rfay@we.mediaone.net

The Shop
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7900/
Stephen Link <slink@gte.net> wrote in message news:FKBz48.3rz@lugnet.com...
Hello, Im relatively new to technic, but I wanted to design a working • cargo
elevator for one of my space projects. the idea is to use a 32 x 32 plate • as
the elevator floor. Im not sure if im using the correct terminology for my
explanation to follow, so bear with me. The construct I had in mind for • the
lifting force is a pinned crossbeam arrangement that scissors up when
compressed from the sides.
                            \  /
                             \/
                             /\
                            /  \
                            \  /
                             \/
                             /\
                            /  \
I have a jack that uses this design and I'm know it's rather common. I • have
seen a technic cyberslam set that uses this concept, and I'll probably • pick
this set up to study it, but it looks like the beams(?) themselves are not
large enough to be used directly within my project. rather I would employ
traditional technic beams perhaps 1 x 16's in this construct to give it • some
sturdiness. This is all well and good, however my difficulty comes in
translating a motorized or hand cranked rotatitional force into the
compressive force I need to lift the elevator. This stems mostly from my • lack
of knowledge as to what can and cant be done with technic as opposed to • not
having ideas. my first idea is to use a screw type device that opperates • much
like how a vise would work. Are there pieces in technic capable of making • this
construct? If so in what sets? My other idea has some problems it • basically
consists of having a gear on the end of each beam and have them run on a
toothed track towards each other this would provide the compressive force • but
is problematic in that the shafts being rotated could not be stationary, • and I
have no idea how to translate that from a hard mounted motor or crank. • Does a
toothed track or beam exist within the system? well those are my ideas if • you
could point me to any sets that utilize these concepts, or provide • feedback of
your own I'd apreciate it. Thanks in advance, Steve Link.