 Technic / 175
174  |  176
Subject:
Questions regarding a conceptual cargo elevator.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:48:08 GMT

Hello, Im relatively new to technic, but I wanted to design a working cargo
elevator for one of my space projects. the idea is to use a 32 x 32 plate as
the elevator floor. Im not sure if im using the correct terminology for my
explanation to follow, so bear with me. The construct I had in mind for the
lifting force is a pinned crossbeam arrangement that scissors up when
compressed from the sides.
                            \  /
                             \/
                             /\
                            /  \
                            \  /
                             \/
                             /\
                            /  \
I have a jack that uses this design and I'm know it's rather common. I have
seen a technic cyberslam set that uses this concept, and I'll probably pick
this set up to study it, but it looks like the beams(?) themselves are not
large enough to be used directly within my project. rather I would employ
traditional technic beams perhaps 1 x 16's in this construct to give it some
sturdiness. This is all well and good, however my difficulty comes in
translating a motorized or hand cranked rotatitional force into the
compressive force I need to lift the elevator. This stems mostly from my lack
of knowledge as to what can and cant be done with technic as opposed to not
having ideas. my first idea is to use a screw type device that opperates much
like how a vise would work. Are there pieces in technic capable of making this
construct? If so in what sets? My other idea has some problems it basically
consists of having a gear on the end of each beam and have them run on a
toothed track towards each other this would provide the compressive force but
is problematic in that the shafts being rotated could not be stationary, and I
have no idea how to translate that from a hard mounted motor or crank. Does a
toothed track or beam exist within the system? well those are my ideas if you
could point me to any sets that utilize these concepts, or provide feedback of
your own I'd apreciate it. Thanks in advance, Steve Link.