 Technic / 16131
Re: Constructing the 8275
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 03:28:55 GMT

Hi Owen,
I had the same questions when i put my first bulldozer together.
When i built my second one, i put all the similar bag contents into a bowl.
There were many bowls.
The last two i built, i messed all the parts into a big bucket just so it would
increase the challenge.
I can only assume TLG put parts in bags that are of a similar size to minimise
damage to other parts in the bag. generaly you wont find any pins in a bag with
15M beams.
Small parts in one bag, medium parts in another, etc.

In regards to the number of bags, this has been occuring for a few years now.
I first noticed wheels in different bags while the tyres were floating in the
box. I originally thought it was to hinder part theft. I recall many
front-end-loaders in my local retailer a few years ago, all opened with all the
pneumatics bags stolen.
The Black Rhino tow truck had several bags containing the same parts just like
the dozer. It has many wheels and if you get the right one, it also has
different coloured wheels. From memory it had 4 bags containing wheels. Perhaps
it is to reduce excesive parts per bag, while not needing to produce excessive
bag content inventories ? again i think the Rhino had a number of bags just for
pins.

I think the bag contents have been sorted in some respect so that no two similar
parts are in the same bag but this seems to differ between sets. The Rhino had
numerous pin types of black and red in the same bags. The dozer i think had a
number of bushings, toggle joints and small wheel hubs in the same bags.
Converse to this, the Combine harvester had all the blue axle pins in one bag
with no other parts. So sometimes similar parts are in the same bag.

I question why there is a need for two different bag plastics ?the crinkely
plastic bags with tiny holes for smallish parts and the soft plastic bags for
the long beams ?

Be it for theft prevention or sorting simplfication or damage resistance or to
simplyfy production or to reduce bags rupturing in transit or to emphsise the
uniqueness of blue axle pins, i think we will truely never know the answer to
this life mystery.

I hope i've shed some light though...

Steve