 Technic / 15277
  Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

I’ve build few type of pneumatic compressors with different motors and pumps, and also few types of pneumatic engines. Unfortunately, none of the Lego compressors were able to drive the engines more than one or two rounds. Manual pumping proves that (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

(...) Have you thought about using a Fischertechnik compressor? Or just a school lab compressor (probably very similar!)? (URL) Danny Staple MBCS OrionRobots (URL) contact details available through website) (18 years ago, 9-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

(...) Thanks for your reply, Danny. Have you tested the Fischertechnik with Lego? There are two types of compressors I consider at the moment: 12V, 250-300 PSI, intended to be used for vehicle tires and floating devices. These are fairly cheap, (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

(...) The first compressor (250-300 psi) is too powerful, unless you can put a regulator or pressure reducing valve on it. 20-30 psi is probably ideal. See this old thread: (URL) (18 years ago, 9-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

(...) Have you tried the RC motor? (URL) a single small compressor, it pumps a phenomenal amount of air. (18 years ago, 10-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

(...) Tried it. You are right, it does produce a lot of air, but without any pressure, which seems to be essential for pneumatic engine. (18 years ago, 10-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

(...) I have a car tyre air compressor with a variable pressure limiter, which is essential for LEGO pneumatics. It will nominally produce 250psi. I set the limiter to 20-25psi normally, perhaps 30psi for short periods. Note that you need a pressure (...) (18 years ago, 14-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

The other option is to use an air tank that you fill from the neighbourhood service station compressor, or your own, and regulate the pressure with a pressure regulating valve (PRV). It is also advisable to filter the air to remove any oil or other (...) (18 years ago, 15-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

Hello, Try splitting the engine and lego compressor into separate circuts. That way you don't use all your pressure on each switch. I split my six pump compressor and scissor lift into 2 circuts one for each switch and it dramatically increased (...) (18 years ago, 16-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines

(...) Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I’m starting with foot pump (5$), and will search for electric compressor later on. Pressure limiter, as I understand, is a must. I also prefer 220V. With those two constraints the offering is very (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jul-06, to lugnet.technic)