 Technic / 15279
Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:44:01 GMT

In lugnet.technic, danny@orionrobots.co.uk wrote:

On 09/07/06, Avi Parvin <parvin@netvision.net.il> wrote:
I've build few type of pneumatic compressors with different motors and pumps,
and also few types of pneumatic engines. Unfortunately, none of the Lego
compressors were able to drive the engines more than one or two rounds. Manual
pumping proves that the engines are built correctly, but this is too
exhausting…

Can someone please suggest a decent electric compressor, or at least
compressor
spec (PSI), which is suitable for Lego? My requirements are simple: Strong
enough to drive pneumatic engine, gentle enough not to destroy the plastic
elements.

Thanks in advance,

Avi Parvin

Have you thought about using a Fischertechnik compressor? Or just a
school lab compressor (probably very similar!)?

http://www.fischertechnik.com/html/products-Profi.html#Pneumatic

Danny

Thanks for your reply, Danny.

Have you tested the Fischertechnik with Lego?

There are two types of compressors I consider at the moment:

12V, 250-300 PSI, intended to be used for vehicle tires and floating devices.
These are fairly cheap, 20-50 USD (converted from Israeli currency).
220V, 15-55 PSI, designed for air-brush painting. These are pretty expensive,
starting at about 180 USD.

I’m afraid the first type is too powerful for Lego, and probably will damage it.
I honestly don’t know if the second type is strong enough.

Avi Parvin