 Technic / 15291
Re: Electric Compressor for Pneumatic Engines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:54:55 GMT

The other option is to use an air tank that you fill from the neighbourhood
service station compressor, or your own, and regulate the pressure with a
pressure regulating valve (PRV).  It is also advisable to filter the air to
remove any oil or other impurities.  I have such a setup that is used to supply
air to an airbrush, and I know from experience with the airbrush that the air
supply from the tank is good, both for pressure and cleanliness.

PRVs and air filters are generally available from any industrial type supply
house that sells pneumatic fittings, valves, controls, etc.  My PRV was made by
Parker and the filter was made by ARO.

I am not sure of the pressure limit of Lego pneumatics yet, but I would hate to
blow up any of my pistons.  Rather than use too high a pressure to get something
to move, I think it better to either lessen the load or increase the number of
pistons doing the work.

My advice regarding pressure is to start low; I think 20 -30 psi is a bit high.
If you have good volume, which you will from an air tank, then the pressure can
be lower, but it will be constant, if regulated by a PRV.

Start low with the pressure, and increase the pressure with the PRV until
consistent results are obtained; i.e. smooth, steady operation of your
pneumatics.

Does anyone have experience to suggest an upper limit for a safe working
pressure?