 Technic / 15014
Re: Alternate 8458 MOC: Sportscar with instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:02:49 GMT

Hi Travis,

It is a big surprise that I see a reply on something I did over 2 years ago.
Indeed it was before I knew of Ldraw and at that time I actually started to
discover LEGO again and it's huge community of AFOLs. So yes, I made the virtual
model in a program called Solidworks.
First I had to design all the elements, before I could start assembling the
virtual model. It was during my studies and it was a good way to get familiar
with the program and it's features.
In one class I could do anything I wanted as long as it had to do with design,
so I decided to present this alternate model and on top of it the
buildinginstructions. Now I can say I was a bit too optimistic and it was hell
creating the images (by using print screen). I started with the end and worked
my way to the beginning. However at the presentation the instructions were far
from finished, but because everyone was impressed by the model and because they
could see that I really put all my energy in it, I got a good result.

Once I put pictures of this car on brickshelf, many fans asked for instructions.
And they kept on asking, so finally I decided to finish the instructions. But
due to some improvements I made, the model wasn't acurate anymore and I decided
to start the proces again, but this time from the beginning. During this proces
I learned a lot about visualizing and building order and submodels. Every step
was done by making print screen images again. After that I had to add all the
submodels and the needed parts using PhotoShop. It was a very long proces and
sometimes I really wanted to abort the whole project. Ofcourse some fans kept
asking and it's because of them that at the end I was able to present the
instructions like you can find them on the web. Great thanks to all of them!

Right now I can look back and say that it really helped my carreer; it was the
revival of the love for the bricks, which resulted in a job at LEGO. So now
someone else makes the instructions, although during the designprocess I still
have to think how to build it easy and make that visible.

Play on!

Nathanaël Kuipers
LEGO Technic designer

Wow! that is dedication.  So, if someone has an MOC that has old and new parts
plus non-Lego parts, a 3-D design software is the way to go if they don't know
how to use LDraw?  I wish I had the free time.  All I have is 3-D AutoCAD- which
can do the same thing but the file size may blow the computer.  Where did you
learn LDraw?  Are there any seminars for those who don't learn well from written
instructions? I have had several people ask for instructions for my designs
(which is a good thing) but I have trouble learning new softwares (which is a
bad thing).  Can a non-Lego element be drawn in AutoCAD or Inventor and then be
copied into LDraw?

Nathan