 Technic / 15013
Re: Worm Gear Problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:17:50 GMT

In lugnet.build.mecha, Eric Sophie wrote:

SNIP

I learned that there are two types of worm gears. The older and newer style.

The older style has an axle grab the whole way through the gear. Meaning you can see the axle accept on both sides. Front to back.

The newer style worm gears only have an axle grab part of the way through, and a hollow end at one side.

The advantage of the older style is that you can put two on a single axle and the splines mate up almost seamlessly. To make the worm gear double long.

The newer style worms have more of a blunt end on the splines and when you add them two of them to an axle, they do not mate up as smoothly as the older ones.

The new style worm gears have the advantage, that they can be put onto a
5.5- axle like shown in the following pics.

after moderation

after moderation

No additional parts are needed to fix the axle inside the gear!!

Thanks for pointing out, there are two types of worm gears. I never
realized there were. But when I knew there was this idea.

Marco