 Technic / 14048
Re: Compact dozer design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:20:30 GMT

On 4/14/05, Nathan Bell <Radarbell@hotmail.com> wrote:
In lugnet.technic, orion@orionrobots.co.uk wrote:

I built one of these myself - a while ago. The LDraw plans are at
http://orionrobots.co.uk/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=4 although I am
yet to take some photos. My version could definately be made smaller.
I intend to apply the principle to two modified servos in a non-Lego
bot, although I will probably still use the Lego gears.

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots

What exactly is the advantage of using the adder-subtracter design versus the
motor-for-each-track design?

Let me guess; does the adder-subtractor design produce slow changes in
direction
while the motor-for-each-track design only makes quick changes in direction?
(does this design allow the dozer to make smoother turns rather than abrupt
turns?)

Nathan

Nope - it means if you have two motors which are not perfectly matched
(which they so very rarely are), you can still get a straight line. If
you build a motor-per-track buggy, and drive it accross a long
corridor, then without course correction, it is likely to veer slowly
off course. If you take a look at
http://orionrobots.co.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Adder%20Subtractor%20Drive
and http://www.lugnet.com/~469/projects/addsub they go into a bit more
depth on it.You can still make just as abrupt turns with it - although
they may be slightly easier to control with the add-sub drive.

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots