 Technic / 13120
Re: Does anybody know the story behind 8847?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:32:47 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Koudys wrote:

I know that one of the supercars--

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8860

As pictured on the box cover, and even in some of the instructions, just showed
springs on axles for the rear suspension.  The actual set, however, had the
first generation technic shocks.  You can even see the springs-on-axle on the
picture from the LUGNET link above.

I didn't know if this supercar was first released to the general public with the
springs-on-axle, or if halfway thru the development of this set they changed
over to proper shock absorbers, before they released it to the public.

Dave K

So that means there's at least a history of TLG changing products between
advertising and actually distributing them.

Wonder if there's some kind of significance to that, within the 88XX series?
For instance, some 8858's came with chrome taps instead of light gray, then this
thing with the 8847...

What's weird (to me) is that in the case of the 8860, we can assume the model
was changed due to the introduction of the technic shock but...

That wouldn't be the case with the 8847 redesign, because toggle tooth
connectors and universal joints had been around for a couple years (at least) by
the time 8847 made it to shelves, meaning there had to be some other reason for
switching designs midstream.  Wonder what that reason was...