 Technic / 13118
13117  |  13119
Subject:
Does anybody know the story behind 8847?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 20:00:47 GMT

I was putting together 8847 (Dragster, 1983) the other day and my instructions
called for a universal joint to connect the two runs of the steering column.

However, the main model picture, peeron inventory, and brickshelf scan indicate
that a version exists that calls for two toggle toothed joints and a halfpin to
complete the steering column.

My instructions --> http://www.robbking.com/parts/step12.jpg
& another look --> http://www.robbking.com/parts/step12b.jpg
Brickshelf scan --> http://www.robbking.com/parts/step12c.jpg

This had me wondering a lot of things, such as when/why TLG would change such a
minor design detail midway through a run, or which version was the original, or
how common it was to change designs back then.

On top of all that, is there any background information that would support an
opinion that 8847 is hard to find?  Was it a North American-only release, or
anything like that?

Any info at all about this would be appreciated!