 Technic / 13101
Re: RC racer sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:00:12 GMT

Hello to you all,

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> schreef in bericht
news:I28vpH.10IH@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Jordan Bradford wrote:
LEGO's online store has three RC sets,
<http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=8366 8366>,
<http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=8369 8369>, and
<http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=8475 8475> (currently unavailable).
There's also a Radio Shack exclusive,
<http://www.lego.com/eng/racers/products.asp?id=8376 8376>.

8369 is brand new, and its description says

"The first LEGO Racers RC car that can conquer the outdoors! Steer the • Dirt
Crusher through dirt, gravel, mud and more and watch it come out on top.
Features three channels and manual speed shift option, adjustable • suspension
for speed and road conditions, and a groundbreaking new building • experience
with flexible nylon elements. Batteries and charger included."

The <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8369 LUGNET set reference> shows that • only
one person owns this set so far. For anyone else who owns it but hasn't
filled in the form on that page, I have some questions.

What do they mean by "groundbreaking new building experience with • flexible
nylon elements"? What pieces are they? Have you in fact tried this set
outdoors in the mud? And how does that manual speed shift work? Does • that
mean you manipulate something on the car, or on the remote control? How • about
the adjustable suspension -- how does it work?

If I were to buy one of the four sets mentioned above, which one would • you
recommend? The only reason I want an RC set is to get the powerful
<http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/5292 5292 RC motors>. On the other • hand, if
those new nylond pieces are useful in some manner I'll want to buy the • 8369.

Well I just got an 8369.  This is basically an RC car and NOT a LEGO set. • It is
a great RC car but the building system is completely new although the • shocks and
chasis have Technic connection points.  I suppose the only part that would • be
interesting to folks in a LEGO creation would be the shocks.  The are • heavy duty
shocks and have 2 ways of increasing/decreasing the tension.  In terms of • the RC
car you max out/increase the tension for on road driving and • loosen/decrease the
tension for off road driving.  The shocks have technic pin connections at • either
end.

I love the car because I am an RC car fan but I would not recommend this • in
terms of its LEGO building qualities.

Eric Kingsley

I already have two of these cars, I also do like them as RC cars, but the
first drawback is the distance and transmitting power. Transmitting range is
about 25 meters, which is quite a small distance when talking in RC terms.
Recenty I was at an RC off-road meeting and I wasn't even ablt to drive more
than 5 meters. Their transmitters are more powerfull.

On the track, a BMX bycicle track, I had some room to play arround, but not
when too many drivers were around.

When combining two of these sets, you can make a heck of a truck!
Check these pictures: www.t-hok.nl/rc they are in the subdirectories. Watch
out, the pictures are quite large!

All body parts can be used by connecting to technic style elements with the
technic pins, but I wouldn't recommend it either. I think when you are
driving outdoors, your technic parts are going to get broken when you bump
in anything.

There are some flaws in this set though.
One I have already mentioned: the reach is way to small as I see it. It
should be at least 100 meters or so.

Second I would like to get a decent transmitters, RC alike, preferably
digital fm transmitters. but that would probably make the set too pricy.

Third is the steering. When bumping with the wheels the steering axles are
gooing to bend. When bending too often, these steering axles are not getting
straight again and the little car will not go straight forward anymore.

Fourth: spare parts. Where can I get them?

Positive things I would like to mention:
It is a real RC set, functions like one, you can drive like one.
It performs quite well onroad, but also off road.
The set is complete: you get a car, transmitter, batteries included and also
a charger for the batterypack is included.
And this is what you will never see on a RC event: in an hour or so you can
make a 8x4 vehicle out of two of these little cars, see my pictures:
www.t-hok.nl/rc .

Greetings
    Maico Arts