 Technic / 13013
Re: RC racer sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:05:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   LEGO’s online store has three RC sets, 8366, 8369, and 8475 (currently unavailable). There’s also a Radio Shack exclusive, 8376.

8369 is brand new, and its description says

“The first LEGO Racers RC car that can conquer the outdoors! Steer the Dirt Crusher through dirt, gravel, mud and more and watch it come out on top. Features three channels and manual speed shift option, adjustable suspension for speed and road conditions, and a groundbreaking new building experience with flexible nylon elements. Batteries and charger included.”

The LUGNET set reference shows that only one person owns this set so far. For anyone else who owns it but hasn’t filled in the form on that page, I have some questions.

What do they mean by “groundbreaking new building experience with flexible nylon elements”? What pieces are they? Have you in fact tried this set outdoors in the mud? And how does that manual speed shift work? Does that mean you manipulate something on the car, or on the remote control? How about the adjustable suspension -- how does it work?

If I were to buy one of the four sets mentioned above, which one would you recommend? The only reason I want an RC set is to get the powerful 5292 RC motors. On the other hand, if those new nylond pieces are useful in some manner I’ll want to buy the 8369.

Well I just got an 8369. This is basically an RC car and NOT a LEGO set. It is a great RC car but the building system is completely new although the shocks and chasis have Technic connection points. I suppose the only part that would be interesting to folks in a LEGO creation would be the shocks. The are heavy duty shocks and have 2 ways of increasing/decreasing the tension. In terms of the RC car you max out/increase the tension for on road driving and loosen/decrease the tension for off road driving. The shocks have technic pin connections at either end.

I love the car because I am an RC car fan but I would not recommend this in terms of its LEGO building qualities.

Eric Kingsley