 Technic / 13075
    electric pneumatic valve actuators? —Joe Strout
   I've been thinking a lot lately about electrically activated (as opposed to manual) pneumatic valves. I've seen several designs on the net where someone has taken a regular LEGO manual valve, and attached a motor. That's clever, but I'm wondering if (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: electric pneumatic valve actuators? —Brian Davis
     (...) How about one operated by folding or bending the pnematic tube itself (the same way you can kink a garden hose to turn it off temporarily while waiting for your sister to come around the corner of the house and... oh, never mind). I suspect (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: electric pneumatic valve actuators? —Jon Gilchrist
     (...) What do you feel is a reasonable price? In the next week or two I should have the first prototype built of a pair of commercial solenoid valves adapted for LEGO/RCX usage. They'll be 9v, and around 1.1 watts. It will be 2 3-way valves, one for (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: electric pneumatic valve actuators? —Joe Strout
     (...) Sounds cool -- that's the sort of thing I had in mind, though I couldn't find solenoid valves for less than $70 or so, which is just too much. A reasonable price in my book would be something like $10 per valve, or if it's already adapted for (...) (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: electric pneumatic valve actuators? —Jon Gilchrist
     (...) I got thinking about this. My first thought was to use a worm gear and a slip gear to pinch and unpinch the tube. This would probably work, but would not give you what you want. You need a valve that will exhaust the flow to a different path (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

         Re: electric pneumatic valve actuators? —Ross Crawford
     (...) I've always thought a valve with similar form factor to a large cylinder, that works like a steam engine valve (URL) would be really nice. It would probably have significantly less resistance than a standard LEGO valve, and more importantly, (...) (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: electric pneumatic valve actuators? —Jerry Kalpin
     (...) In my Injection Molding Factory I have built the equivalent of an electrically operated 3-way spool valve. It's expensive. I spent much time trying to simple it up, but a 3-way valve is not easy. Look here: (URL) the same page there is a cute (...) (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: electric pneumatic valve actuators? —Pete Sevcik
   (...) Joe, I have developed an air solenoid solution that is almost ready for market. Look at (URL) send me a note if you are interested. (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.technic)