 Technic / 13079
Re: electric pneumatic valve actuators?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:44:43 GMT

"Joe Strout" <joe@strout.net> wrote:

- A pinch valve made by pinching shut a pneumatic tube with a wheel or lever
attached to a motor

I got thinking about this.  My first thought was to use a worm gear
and a slip gear to pinch and unpinch the tube.  This would probably
work, but would not give you what you want.  You need a valve that
will exhaust the flow to a different path at some point.  A pinch
valve is just a 2-way valve, it's either open or closed, and there is
only one flow path.  With a 2-way valve, the air that goes into the
cylinder has to come out by the same path.  This generally doesn't
work.  You can use 2 2-way valves to make a 3-way, but that would mean
two motors.  Or, if you made it so it pinched one tube when it
un-pinched another, that could work.

This all assumes that you want to use the pinched tubing to control a
cylinder.  If you're doing something else, that might be a different
story.

- A from-scratch valve made out of LEGO parts (probably tricky to get that air
tight, but might be good enough)

This would never be airtight unless you glued all the joints shut.
Even a gap of .001" would leak.  Been there, done that.

- A real-world (commercial) valve actuator adapter for use with LEGO (tricky bit
here is finding one for a reasonable price)

I commented on this in my previous post.

Have you seen any of these, or something else entirely, to control the flow of
air with standard LEGO 9V electronics?

Now you've got me thinking.  I wonder if I could make a pump or
cylinder into a valve....

-Jon