 Technic / 12581
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 14:20:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Kevin, I just finished looking at the Leg designs you have made.

They are elegant as they are deceptively simplistic in their appearence.
Great Job.

Thanks, Eric.

You raise a good point.

When the hip sweeps, (heh heh) each leg left and right, you'll need ample
clearence to avoid collission with the other legs in the sideways motion.

This leads to a scale issue. Indeed, the room between each leg ends up making
the body quite sizable.

Food for thought:

Instead of making the body straight or rectangular, perhaps, begin arranging the
frame truss to be oval or slightly rounded to accomodate the hip sweep (heh
heh).

I think this will make forward/backward walking do a side to side stagger, as
Steve realized sideways walking was going to work.

This way the each leg placement will sit around the oval body to allow a small
semi circle of movement for each leg. Thereby avoiding inter-leg collission.

If we measure the total distance front to back that the foot travels, this tells
us the minimum spacing between the hips.  We'll have to add a bit of extra
distance to add a margin for error.

Reducing the front to back travel reduces the minimum distance between the hips
(but also reduces the distance traveled per step).

We can reduce the stride length one of two ways:

  1.  Increase the length of the lever arm from the piston attachment to the
folcrum (hip rotation point).

  2.  Decrease the length of the leg from the the folcrum to the feet.

Both of these changes can be used and both increase the torque the leg can
create.

Last night I did a little study.  With the yellow leg, the total stride length
is 24 studs.  Adding four more studs for safety margin, we get a total of 28
studs.  Given four hips, we need three spaces between the hips, for a total of
84 studs from front hip to back hip, or about 7 1x15 liftwarms.

Pretty good sized.

If we reduce the stride length, this gets smaller.  Adding another piston to hip
sweep to provide *pure* sideways walking would make the stride length longer, so
we'd have to double the distance between the folcrum and the piston attachment
point to keep the stride length the same.

Thoughts? ----> Oval or eliptical shaped Leg/body frame-truss.

For now I'd like to stick to rectangular, but I could see that making it
oval/eliptical could be more attractive to the eye.

Kevin