 Technic / 12582
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 15:11:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
My first thought is to forgo sideways walking.

This means that it would be able to walk in six directions, instead of 4, at the
cost of 8 switches. • ...

This costs us 8 more pistons, and 8 more switches.

How about if you make up a proposal?  Actually, two.

First, get out your pen, paper, calculator, sliderule, and excel spreadsheet,
and figure out how many pistons & switches are required.

I'd suggest two options:
A) No Sideways.  Forward/back, turn in place R or L
B) Straight sideways.  two pistons/LEG SWEEP.

Count EVERYTHING.  What is the grand total?

While I think walking sideways would be very cool, I also think it will add a
ton of complexity to this thing.  In addition to the set of walking
switches/pistons, we'd need to have switches to set the legs to "out" when it's
not walking sideways, and we'd need switches to set the legs to "middle" when
not walking forward/back.

I'm really starting to think it will top 100 switches.

Steve