 Technic / 12580
Re: SSClagorpion
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 13:59:50 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Below is a diagram of the 8 legs as one of the two points where all eight feet
are down.

A\_
   \B

  _/D
C/

E\_
   \F

  _/H
G/

slight problem.

When SSClagorpion is walking sideways, due to the LEG SWEEP the legs will be
positioned as show above.  However, when he takes a step left, legs A, B, E & F
would be stepping forward(up)/left and C,D,G & H are stepping
backward(down)/left.

This could be a problem.

All along, I'd thought that it would zig/zag as it walks sideways, as you've
noted.  But I was wrong.  A, D, E and H are in one leg group.  This means that
A, and E are walking forward/left, and D and H are walking backard/left.  This
means that the legs are causing stress on each other, pulling each other in the
opposite directions.

For a smooth step sideways, the forward/backward LEG SWEEP would have to be
stopped in mid step (not possible).

Thoughts?

My first thought is to forgo sideways walking.

A second thought is to fix the leg opposition problem described above, by having
the legs doing this:

  A\_
     \B
  C\_
     \D
  E\_
     \F
  G\_
     \H

And walk diagonally forward all the time, combined with this

    _/B
  A/
    _/D
  C/
    _/F
  E/
    _/H
  G/

providing diagonally backward all the time.

This means that it would be able to walk in six directions, instead of 4, at the
cost of 8 switches.

If pure sideways walking is truly desirable, then we can modify the hip sweep so
that it uses two pistons.

The two pistons are joined base to base.  Normally both pistons mimic each
other.  They both expand at the same time.  They both expand at the same time.

To make the legs rest at the halfway point, you simply make one of the pistons
do the opposite of the other.

This costs us 8 more pistons, and 8 more switches.

Feedback?

Kevin