 Technic / 12483
Re: Electric motor 71427
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:31:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Slawomir Tamulewicz wrote:
I have problems with two seized electric motors 71427 which come with 8479 sets.
It is impossible to rotate shafts with bare fingers. Could anybody give me
detailed guidelines how to safely disassemble them to clean or to repair them?
Please, help me!

I have had six 71427 motors replaced, out of about 20.  If you really want to
open them, use a small flat-blade screwdriver to lever out the backplate at the
bottom.  It will be obvious that you've done this though, so it may invalidate
the warranty.

I will no longer buy any sets with these motors, even 1351 movie backdrop at
less than half price!  I've had bad motors from this, two 8479s, a Cybermaster
and 8735 motor pack.  I have two more 8479s and two more 1351s, so I'm waiting
for more problems :-(

Rather than opening the motors, you're better to just ring up Lego Shop at Home,
choose one of the 'problem with product' options and explain that the motors
have seized.  I think they've replaced so many now that they'll recognise your
problem.  You'll then have to post them to the consumer service address and wait
a few weeks for replacements.

My latest replacements were 43362 motors, which are functionally almost identical but don't have the problem.   See the comparison here:
http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

I wonder how much this contributed to TLC's losses - thousands of motor
replacements at £15 a time?  I wouldn't like to be manager of the motor company!

Mark Bellis