 Technic / 11556
Re: New MOC: Scania Garbage Truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 20:53:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk wrote:
"Reinard van Loo" <Reinard-van-loo@chello.at> wrote in message
Hello!

Finally, I've got a new MOC. This time it took a long time to finish because of
other things to do, but now it's here:

http://members.chello.at/reinard-van-loo/Lego/Scania.html

<snip>

more please.... I'd like to see more of your
front steering/suspension. How do you manage different steering angles on
both axels with pneumatic steering?

After fooling arround with two setups, I threw in the towel and made it a simple
one: Each axis has its own pneumatic cylinder, there is *no* linkage between the
two... the only synchronised positions are far left and far right :-)

The reasons:
I first build the original Scania setup. (see
http://www.scantruck.com.sg/scantruck/scania/parts/chassis/steering/steering.htm,
look at picture titled 'Power Steering Gear, Dual Circuit Steering') It proved
to work only if there is no load on the wheels and the dead-travel of the lego
mechanism was just too large.

It was how Scania did it, but it did not result in a *working* model so I
scrapped it. Then I tried a more standard rack/pignion setup, but the linkage
between the two axels was not possible: If you look at the frame at the front
(arround the motor), you will see that the frame 'spreads' (as the real Scania
frame does, see http://imagebank.scania.com/pic_d/146072.JPG and for the lego
model http://members.chello.at/reinard-van-loo/Resources/motor_top%201.jpg)
Worse, this 'spread' does not follow Lego geometry, so mounting the two front
suspended steering axles is done using some tricks. ( see recently added picture
http://members.chello.at/reinard-van-loo/Resources/steering_axle_full.jpg for
steering axle set-up) This mounting is sturdy enough, but it is not possible to
put a good, strong linkage between the axles with the angles created by the
frame and suspension mechanism.(a strong linkage is needed because the forces on
the wheels make steering a heavy job...)

Soooo... finally I gave up, and implemented the pneumatic steering, which still
works when the frame is 'loaded' with the cab and container (and no studs under
the frame to support it...)

I think (I did not try this...) that the only LEGO steering set-up that supports
heavy weights is the good old 853 technic car steering (which I did not want to
use because I wanted to retain the basic axle design of Scania as much as
possible) or the 8880 super car suspended steering -although I doubt if the 8880
setup supports steering under heavy load...

Dennis, you should have some experience here, do you have some intputs?

da groet'n,

---Reinard